Monday, February 14, 2011

The Best Adventures...

My son Micah has been wanting to get away from the snow and cold for a few weeks now, and he finally escaped! He just took off over the weekend and flew to California. He rented a car, is in Long Beach right now and will be driving up to Seattle where his cousin lives starting tomorrow. He really likes new adventures, and just decided to make one.

I found this out when I called to tell him I love him and to wish him a good day.
Micah said to me a few months ago that he's concerned that I may get to the end of my life and regret that I didn't do more. That started me thinking a lot.

Yes, I really enjoy travel. I have not had much money over the course of my life, but I have traveled at different times. I haven't gone anywhere of note since my stroke 2 1/2 years ago. I also don't try ice skating, or do much in the way of other types of good times like bowling, etc. So, am I going to regret that I didn't do more?

Maybe, but that is not where my best adventures lie. I do still have adventures, but they look different. I have had to rethink what I enjoy most, and what I enjoy most are my adventures in the Lord. What I mean by that is I ask Him who to talk to and what to pray about. In doing that, at times the Lord has sent me to see friends in other parts of the state, or down in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

He sent me into a homeless shelter where I lived and worked as receptionist, evening guard/helper and Bible Study leader for a few months. I got to meet many interesting courageous women.

I got to watch as churches died, and I am
now getting to watch one going into revival/reformation. I am seeing people come out of all sorts of addictions into freedom (the first person I saw and am still seeing is myself).

I have been led to minister to a family who was abused, and to someone after her abusive ex-husband died for a short season while she and
her children were putting their lives back together.

The Lord allowed me to minister to a husband and wife when he came out of jail and their church wouldn't talk to him because of the nature of the crime.

There have been many such adventures so far, and I expect many more. Will there be things in this life that I would like to do that I won't do? Quite possibly. But for me, the adventure of following wherever the Lord leads is the best one, and I will never regret that. Anything else the Lord allows is just icing on the cake.

3 comments:

sharonoffenbacker@yahoo.com said...

Barb, I too believe that the BEST ADVENTURES are in the Lord. The things we are learning, repenting of, being delivered of, healing's for, are part of His Bringing the Bride into Holiness, Godliness, Righteousness and Repentance. Our loving Bridegroom is coming, Bride, make yourself ready. Isn't this what you saw happen with your two sons and their wives? Our earthly preparations for our marriages are but a reflection of our spiritual wedding to take place not long from now. All the Brides slept, however, 5 Brides did not slumber,(spiritual slumber), they partook of their Beauty Rest like all Brides do before their wedding. They were intimately aware of their beloveds love for them just as He was aware of theirs. Think of what the women and men were doing before their weddings and their courtship. Our Love for Yeshua,and our continual Preparing for our Wedding is our taking the steps toward being His Holy Beautiful Bride.
Love you,
Shalom,
Sharon

Jacque said...

Barb,
I just LOVE what you shared! It is the richest truth, that we have our est adventures in living for Jesus Christ. You are a courageous woman, and I admire you!
Glad to have connected with you again!
May He abound all grace to you,
Jacque

Jacqueline said...

Thank you, Barb, for sending me the email on 'sand or stone'. It is a good thought to ponder as we consider our responses to offenses. I hope you are well, and I miss seeing you, friend!
Many blessings to you and yours!