Friday, June 08, 2012

What's My Motivation?

I just came across this statement that I have revised for myself as my future motivation to try to stay at a healthy weight. I want to have it in writing to inspire me after the superficial motivation of looking good for my son's wedding is gone in just over two weeks. I also don't have enough motivation in just keeping the diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure in check, as that is based in fear. So here goes:

I am choosing a healthy lifestyle because I want to set up good habits for the rest of my life. I want to model healthy living for my children. I want to maintain my health so my loved ones and friends are proud of me. I want to demonstrate to all of the advertisers, fast food manufacturers, auto superhighways, and other societal structures that set Americans up to fail that I need not surrender to failure. No matter how often I need to pick myself up and try again, I choose to do so. 

I want to feel good about my appearance as I go into my sixties. I want to walk into any room with a sense of confidence that derives from the peace of mind that comes with taking care of myself. Equally important, I realize that proper diet and exercise is critical to my mental and spiritual health. It keeps me grounded, helps me cope with daily stressors, gives me a better night's sleep, and provides me with the sense that God is helping me be a good steward of the body He's entrusted to me . That gives me a sense of inner peace. I want to respect my body, knowing that health is one of God's good gifts to me.

No comments: