Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Talk with God

The past few months have been a stabilizing time for my mother, who is now in a nursing home. With the right medication, her disposition has grown calmer and sweeter again. Her love for Jesus has resurfaced in the last three months, and she’s asked to have communion about once a month. I’m so thankful to the Lord for His grace, mercy and love every day, which puts me in remembrance of a poem I recently shared on Facebook. Here it is. Written in 1992, it’s just as true today!

This poem was written after one of my winter seasons - a time when I felt God was very distant from me. It was so good to become aware of His presence again! My worship times came alive, and creativity came back with a rush. I felt I was truly seeing the world with new eyes, and I was very grateful to the Lord. I also began thinking about how I wanted to view and respond to my next winter season, and that prompted this prayer.

A Talk with God 
Barbara A. Irwin

© Copyright 06-27-92

What shall I offer You, my Lord, my King? 
Of Your grace and mercy my soul does sing. 
You give me eyes to see and ears to hear, 
And a heart to receive what You hold dear. 

The closer I draw to You, Lord, each day 
The more I want You to teach me Your way. 
You hold me tenderly with cords of love; 
Your peace enfolds me from heaven above. 

Lord, as I approach Your heavenly throne, 
I come assured, knowing I am Your own. 
Each day more and more my prayers come from You 
As You shape my thoughts, words and actions, too. 

I want to be transformed day after day, 
So secure in Your love that I'll not stray 
When life's seasons change as they always do. - 
When winter comes back, I want to be true. 

I want to realize You're there through my pain, 
That I've earth to lose and heaven to gain. 
I want to gaze on that heavenly prize; 
I want one day with my Jesus to rise. 

So for now I'll enjoy spring and summer, 
Storing mem'ries for days in December. 
Your plan is true no matter the weather; 
I'm going to be with You forever! 

1 comment:

A.L. said...

Glad you are starting your blog again Barb and sharing your thoughts, heart....
I hope Winter surprises you with a warmth from within.
So glad your mom is stabilizing again.
A.L.