Barb's Space

Observations about life, family, church...anything else that is on my mind from the perspective that God rules, no matter what

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, IN, United States

I am a 65 year young woman who has changed much in the last few years. I'm single again. I changed jobs twice (learned new skills), had a serious stroke in 2008, "retired" and after getting better started taking up new interests, and am continuing to get more fit. Some things have matured. I've enjoyed watching my three guys grow into men I respect and am proud of. One waited 11 years to have his first birth child. Today I'm a grandma of six (four boys and 2 girls between two families)! I have learned to love Jesus even more, and I have regained my sense of adventure. Someone said, "The best is yet to be."--I believe it, if I keep an open mind and heart and keep growing and walking with God.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blogs--What and Why

I hate trendy things, until I get used to them or understand them. And if truth be told, I don't go out of my way to understand them--unless people I know and love get involved with them or I have some other personal reason that jumpstarts my curiosity. So when a couple of my guys got interested in blogs, the process began.

"Blogs" went from an extremely annoying word I read on a page somewhere more and more often, to a word I needed to understand. I actually thought it was a very stupid word--till I found out more about it. I even went so far as to ask (once I found out what it meant) a good 23 year old friend and her boyfriend if they knew what the word meant--not just what it is, but what the word itself meant. They didn't, but they had heard of the concept and told me a sad but not-so-bizarre-today story they'd heard about a married couple who was so busy that the only way they ever communicated was by reading each other's blog. (That, my friends, is to me an over-use of blogs, and a misuse of life--but that's perhaps another story.)

I don't want to be remiss here. Just in case you've stumbled on this blog, have your own blog, or your kids, parents (it could happen!) or friends have a blog, what the word itself means is "web log." It is shorthand for a log or journal written on the world wide web instead of paper.When I first heard about blogs before looking at them (the very first one I laid eyes on was my son's), I thought that was a stupid idea. We already have web sites--why do we need another medium of expression? But once I understood that you could simply write your thoughts on anything day by day and the last would appear first, that held appeal for me. Then I started reading my son's and those of his friends, and I got it.

A blog can be whatever I want it to be. It can be a place to post opinions which may start give-and-take discussion, talk about hobbies, journal through challenges and get feedback, or just express how great (or bad) a day I had. I'm looking forward to having fun, sharpening my communication skills, and learning and growing. The only things I can think of right now that I don't want to do with a blog are use it as a way of avoiding "real-time" relationships,
disrespect others even by implication, or express opinions I'd be too timid to express in person. I want to be the same person online that I am offline. Here's to another experience with computers that adds to my already interesting life!


1 Great Ideas:

Blogger SweetChicken said...

You might want to check my journal for today -- I put my thoughts of your post today on there.

Thanks Barb... You're a joy to read!!

March 01, 2006 9:34 PM

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered By Ringsurf