Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Rewards

There is something about my nature that I have tried to ignore, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I ignore it at my own peril. For years I have tried to tell myself that I don't need rewards for good, healthy behaviors. I have told myself that these behaviors should be normal for me, that I'm a Christian, and the only reward I need is Jesus, etc.

Jesus is the best reward--His presence a continually deepening reality in my life, but I need other rewards as well. That seems to be one of my needs as a human being. While losing weight and working on codependency and other habits, even little rewards are a help and tell me I'm achieving something. They are not unneeded extras, but they are helpers in my growth. I will never despise encouragement again--for myself or others!

No comments: