Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Mom’s Party and My Memories

When I got to Mom’s assisted living apartment on Sunday, I found her up and dressed and ready for a small breakfast. She remembered the party we were getting ready to have for her and was looking forward to it. The party was a blessing with her family, a few workers from the facility and a few friends. What mercy from our loving heavenly Father!

Mom is well loved. Her life has been an encouragement to many over the years. She endured her mother’s death just before her teens, and living in a home she ran away from at age 16. However, she ended up at her godmother’s house. Mom didn’t know this lady, but she listened to her and returned home. She was narrowly saved from going into prostitution, and stayed home till she married my dad at 19.

Dad and Mom had a good life; she met Jesus for the second time as an adult, and her life started changing. She was very hungry for God. By the time I was getting messed up in college, Dad had met Jesus and they both received the Holy Spirit, equipping them to war for their children.—I owe my salvation and freedom to God and my parents.

Then Mom's life crashed in 1983 when Dad, Mom, my kids and I were driving to visit my sister and her family. A large semi hit us head on, and the car was totaled to where we were told it was a miracle that anyone made it out alive. Dad died on the way to the hospital. Mom was quite hurt and almost died a couple times in the ensuing days, but she eventually learned to walk again, and ended up in church where she taught others about God’s love and faithfulness through her story and knowledge of the Bible. I am so grateful for the godly influence she’s had on my life. She has also mentored others, visited the sick, and been a good friend.

Now that friendship is being returned in spades. People are remembering her and her family during this season. I pray that her last days here be filled with God’s peace, His joy and His love. Happy birthday, Mom. I love you.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Great tribute to honor your mother Barb. So glad the party went well.